Skip to main content

More Digital Paintings

I've started to get kind of into doing these digital drawings/paintings on the ipad now. The next ones have been quite a progression in workflow. The first one here was done all with my finger and in Sketchbook Express so there were a limited number of layers and types of brushes and settings I could use.It's actually still one of my favorites though. I like how the jeans look, and I felt like I really got a sense of the colors overall. There were still some things I wasn't happy with, but oh well.


This next one was also done with my finger, but now in Sketchbook Pro. It's nicer because there are new tools and menus which help with workflow, as well as a bunch of new brushes and settings, so I got to experiment with some of those. I was developing my taste in brushes on this one. I also tried doing some less realistic skin tones but still trying to maintain the integrity of the shading. I've never tried it before, but I've listened to my life drawing teacher talk to some of the people who use pastels and paints during class. Hopefully I picked up some tips.


This one I did after I got a stylus. Since I like drawing on the tablet a lot now I thought I'd invest in one. I actually wanted the Wacom Bamboo Stylus since it has the best reviews online pretty much everywhere. The local Best Buy didn't have any in stock though so I picked up a cheaper one I thought looked pretty nice. I opened it up and right away I wasn't very happy with it. It seems pretty well made, but for the purposes of drawing, its not nearly sensitive enough. I know the ipad has a very sensitive screen, so it was surprising to me that a very light touch with the pen I got either didn't register or would be very on/off through the stroke. I decided to order the Wacom one online for instore pickup at a different Best Buy location for tomorrow. Hopefully it'll resolve this issue. But for now, the one below was my first painting with a stylus. It's definitely WAY easier to draw with a stylus, and would be even better with a better stylus. (and hopefully pressure sensitivity..come on Apple...)


I think I'll be taking this in to class on Monday :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walkcycle

Well before Lost, I completed my 2nd go at a basical walk cycle. It's missing some in-betweens but I just wanted to get those steps down first before I tried anything else. It's in the gallery. But here it is anyways. [caption id="attachment_56" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Walkcycle #2"] [/caption]  Based off the guide from the Animator's Survival Kit.

To Add or Not to Add...

Well I couldn't think of a real good topic for a second post quite yet, so this is going to be pretty boring. I know no one has read my blog yet at this point, which is fine considering it's been up for like a day. I haven't really even told anyone about it. Stealthily put the link up on my various profiles. I'm sure someone will stubmble upon it at some point. Anyways, I was pondering whether or not I wanted to add another page. It would be somewhat of a portolio, but not formal or anything. Just some drawings or pictures that I might want to share. But at the same time, I've got my DeviantART page linked over on the side, so having a gallery on here would be kind of redundant. Eh, I might as well anyways. It never hurts to give myself a little more exposure. It's settled then! A new page will be added....at some point. I need to gather a few pictures that I think might be cool to put up here, and find a decent free host to put them up on. I guess for the time

Couple of Pencil Tests

Over the last couple of days, I've taken it upon myself to take the practice I got at work doing thumbnails and stuff, and put it to practical use. A while ago I downloaded this program called "Pencil". I also had a drawing pad that I haven't used in a few weeks. So then I set to work putting my ball with legs on a walk across the screen. On paper I'd only ever penciled out 3 steps. The walk across the screen was 12...quite a bit more than I'd done before. Needless to say, by the end I got kind of decent, although I do have to say that the size of my dude changes a little over time. I can't figure out how to actually put the file on here, so I guess a link will have to do... http://megaswf.com/view/f3a9a29c06a80d98f5fb68931653a08b.html Next I thought I'd change it up a bit. Used the same beginning, but added a surprise. A quick practice in some physics. Not really as good as it can be... http://megaswf.com/view/9831171cf009b1722fbe60f8a59488cc.html Las