Skip to main content

Playing Catch Up

It's been a whole half of the class since I've updated the blog last. I'm glad to say that since then I've learned A LOT. Physicality is only the beginning. Just when you start getting kind of OK with mechanics, we're thrown into intro to acting. Starting to get to the real meat of animation. And man, you've gotta think about a lot. Giving the shot a context, and giving reason for movement. Making the poses read clear for the attitude you want to convey. Clarity is the key.

Here is my first pantomime shot. We were supposed to make our character go from one emotion to another or "changing gears." I think I did a fairly decent job on my first try, but it still needs a lot of work.



Right now we're working on our first dialog shot, and holy crap its different from anything we've done so far. We're given the full body rig (Bishop) but only with a simple face. This is so we do most of the acting through the body. Now in our shots we are bound to the cadence of the vocal track. We have to really get into the track and try to get the subtext of the dialog down in creative, entertaining, and clear poses timed out to the audio. Its a lot harder than it sounds because you have to be picky about exactly where you want your accents to be, and where to just milk a pose.

We're only in the blocking stage right now, and I'm not done with it yet so no video. If I remember when I finish I might upload it in stages of progress over the next.....I guess 2 months we're working on this shot :\

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walkcycle

Well before Lost, I completed my 2nd go at a basical walk cycle. It's missing some in-betweens but I just wanted to get those steps down first before I tried anything else. It's in the gallery. But here it is anyways. [caption id="attachment_56" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Walkcycle #2"] [/caption]  Based off the guide from the Animator's Survival Kit.

To Add or Not to Add...

Well I couldn't think of a real good topic for a second post quite yet, so this is going to be pretty boring. I know no one has read my blog yet at this point, which is fine considering it's been up for like a day. I haven't really even told anyone about it. Stealthily put the link up on my various profiles. I'm sure someone will stubmble upon it at some point. Anyways, I was pondering whether or not I wanted to add another page. It would be somewhat of a portolio, but not formal or anything. Just some drawings or pictures that I might want to share. But at the same time, I've got my DeviantART page linked over on the side, so having a gallery on here would be kind of redundant. Eh, I might as well anyways. It never hurts to give myself a little more exposure. It's settled then! A new page will be added....at some point. I need to gather a few pictures that I think might be cool to put up here, and find a decent free host to put them up on. I guess for the time

Sketchdump - 10.22.11

Had a pretty productive day today artwise. I decided to go out to the city today with my mom and sister for the weekend farmer's market at the Ferry Building. Originally I planned to just take BART back home after that while they went to the Cal football game at ATT Park, but since it was such a nice day and I had my sketchbook I decided to stick around and wander for a few hours while they were at the game. We grabbed some sandwiches at the farmer's market and went up to the 2nd floor of a pier were there were some free benches for us to sit on while we ate. I took the opportunity to do a couple of sketches. The first one was of the Ferry Building Clocktower from where we were sitting. I hadn't really gotten my hand warmed up yet so the top of the tower got kind of jacked up in perspective. Tried to fix it, but its still messed up. This one was a quick sketch of the terminal building from where we were sitting as well. I don't usually draw buildings or architectur