Skip to main content

Animation Mentor has Begun

So my Animation Mentor journey has finally officially begun. On Monday I got to access the full campus, and got to see who my mentor would be, as well as my classmates. I spoke to a couple of them that day. There are actually 5 people in my class from around me, so that's pretty cool.

My mentor is Jon Collins, an animator at Pixar :) There are actually a lot of Pixar animators teaching the Basic Foundations class, including Victor Navone. We got to meet him formally last night in the Q&A. He seems like a pretty cool guy and was encouraging to us over the camera not to be shy our first time. I was a bit scared before I went up, but it's not so bad. I think I'll get used to it pretty quick.

No homework really, just set up our profiles and introduce ourselves to our mentor. Done and done. I've since watched the whole lecture, which was basically just an introduction, and the Maya training videos. I installed the AM tools, which is pretty cool. I never realized how customizable Maya was until I watched the training videos. Shame those kinds of tutorials aren't floating around the net, I learned more in 5 minutes from that, than from anything I read online. So with the first character, and a pretty basic knowledge of Maya I went and created a pose based off a stick figure I had in my sketch book. Practice for next week's assignment ;)

Tada!



I have to say, I think I prefer FK over IK just a little. I find that I can get more control over the position of the arm quicker, than in FK. I can get it in a general position pretty quick with IK, but to make finer adjustments to it, I find that FK is better for me. I also like how the arm follows the body as well when you translate the whole body, where in IK the hand stays stationary and the arm bends to conform to this. I can see some applications for that though, but I still prefer FK.

Well, I'll let you know how it goes from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jedi Stewie

Remember that pose I promised a while back? Just did it today, enjoy.

Walkcycle

Well before Lost, I completed my 2nd go at a basical walk cycle. It's missing some in-betweens but I just wanted to get those steps down first before I tried anything else. It's in the gallery. But here it is anyways. [caption id="attachment_56" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Walkcycle #2"] [/caption]  Based off the guide from the Animator's Survival Kit.

Couple of Pencil Tests

Over the last couple of days, I've taken it upon myself to take the practice I got at work doing thumbnails and stuff, and put it to practical use. A while ago I downloaded this program called "Pencil". I also had a drawing pad that I haven't used in a few weeks. So then I set to work putting my ball with legs on a walk across the screen. On paper I'd only ever penciled out 3 steps. The walk across the screen was 12...quite a bit more than I'd done before. Needless to say, by the end I got kind of decent, although I do have to say that the size of my dude changes a little over time. I can't figure out how to actually put the file on here, so I guess a link will have to do... http://megaswf.com/view/f3a9a29c06a80d98f5fb68931653a08b.html Next I thought I'd change it up a bit. Used the same beginning, but added a surprise. A quick practice in some physics. Not really as good as it can be... http://megaswf.com/view/9831171cf009b1722fbe60f8a59488cc.html Las...