Skip to main content

Progress and Failure

So I guess my life plan has taken a sharp turn for the better. While I was previously planning on staying down here in ol' Southern California, the rejection (I guess you can call it that) from CSUF put a bit of a halt on my progress. After some thinking and planning (and hopefully some more thinking and planning next weekend with my parents), I am hopefully going to be moving back up to the SF Bay Area with my family and saving up money to attend school up there.

This provides me with the opportunity to save A LOT more money for school than I would have just staying down here. I'll save on rent, utilities, and most of my food every month. That's at least a good $1000 a month or so back in my pocket. This makes the tuition for school very easy to pay, as well as giving me some more money to play with if I need it.

It also puts me in close proximity to the top two studios I probably want to seek employment at. Pixar is close by in Emeryville, and ILM is across the bay in SF. I know I'm going to have to work really really hard to get there, but I'm already looking forward to the journey.

It feels pretty good right now actually, knowing that I am going to have the opportunity to pursue my dream and hopefully one day get to work at Pixar.

It also feels pretty good knowing that most likely I won't be stuck in this hell (job) for more than another 4 or 5 weeks. Which brings me to the "failure" part of the post. Another little short anecdote about my technologically retarded superiors...

So in my department we need to send these things we call "EU Dossiers" to the EU (who couldn't see that coming?). Originally we had everything in paper form, and it took 8 months of convincing and a move to a smaller office to make my bosses make the conversion to keeping the files digitally. Actually I lied, we haven't converted to digital, we just now have digital in addition to the paper files. Although to my credit, the papers aren't in gigantic 3" binders anymore, and are in nice and small presentation folders.

Back to the story though, so I'm almost complete compiling a completely digital version of the EU Dossiers and we are going to burn them onto CDs. First off, neither of my bosses realized you could fit a shitload more than 14 pdf files (less than 1mb each) onto a CD. Second, my department director didn't buy a cd spindle at costco because she thought that those particular CD-Rs were only for burning music. Third, same person asked me what side of the CD-R you put the label on (WTF?!), and if that was enough to identify because she was somehow in awe at how small CDs are in size. The dam things have been around for more than 20 years and you still don't know how big it is!? And the kicker, is that she requested that I make the pdf files on the CD "read-only" so people can't change the files on the CD. Yea. Good times....

Well until next time, peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walkcycle

Well before Lost, I completed my 2nd go at a basical walk cycle. It's missing some in-betweens but I just wanted to get those steps down first before I tried anything else. It's in the gallery. But here it is anyways. [caption id="attachment_56" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Walkcycle #2"] [/caption]  Based off the guide from the Animator's Survival Kit.

To Add or Not to Add...

Well I couldn't think of a real good topic for a second post quite yet, so this is going to be pretty boring. I know no one has read my blog yet at this point, which is fine considering it's been up for like a day. I haven't really even told anyone about it. Stealthily put the link up on my various profiles. I'm sure someone will stubmble upon it at some point. Anyways, I was pondering whether or not I wanted to add another page. It would be somewhat of a portolio, but not formal or anything. Just some drawings or pictures that I might want to share. But at the same time, I've got my DeviantART page linked over on the side, so having a gallery on here would be kind of redundant. Eh, I might as well anyways. It never hurts to give myself a little more exposure. It's settled then! A new page will be added....at some point. I need to gather a few pictures that I think might be cool to put up here, and find a decent free host to put them up on. I guess for the time

Sketchdump - 10.22.11

Had a pretty productive day today artwise. I decided to go out to the city today with my mom and sister for the weekend farmer's market at the Ferry Building. Originally I planned to just take BART back home after that while they went to the Cal football game at ATT Park, but since it was such a nice day and I had my sketchbook I decided to stick around and wander for a few hours while they were at the game. We grabbed some sandwiches at the farmer's market and went up to the 2nd floor of a pier were there were some free benches for us to sit on while we ate. I took the opportunity to do a couple of sketches. The first one was of the Ferry Building Clocktower from where we were sitting. I hadn't really gotten my hand warmed up yet so the top of the tower got kind of jacked up in perspective. Tried to fix it, but its still messed up. This one was a quick sketch of the terminal building from where we were sitting as well. I don't usually draw buildings or architectur